Clean Energy Alliance (CEA) is proud to be the power service provider for the Cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar, and Solana Beach, and the soon-to-be provider for the Cities of Escondido, San Marcos, Oceanside and Vista. As CEA has begun service in each member city, customers have probably noticed a couple of small changes in the appearance of their energy bill. CEA is committed to an easy and transparent billing process, so we’ve come up with some helpful insights to help customers better understand their monthly bill.
Each customer’s bill will continue to come from San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E) and generally appear the same as before, but with a few key differences:
- CCA Electric Generation: Now that CEA purchases power on SDG&E’s behalf for CEA customers, SDG&E no longer charges for customers’ electricity generation. When homes or businesses begin service with CEA, the previous SDG&E power generation line item will be replaced with “CCA Electric Generation” to account for the renewable energy purchased by CEA.
- Electric Delivery/Electric Charges: SDG&E is solely responsible for charges related to transmission, or delivery, of the power that CEA purchases for its customers. Being a CEA customer does not affect these charges in any way.
- Power Charge Indifference Adjustment (PCIA): This is an exit fee charged by San Diego Gas and Electric (SDG&E) to customers that choose another provider of electricity generation service through direct access or Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) like Clean Energy Alliance (CEA). The fee is designed to cover the difference in the market value of energy resources that were already contracted on a customer’s behalf by SDG&E and the cost of those resources.
- Time of Use Period: Depending on your rate plan, eCEA bills for generation based on the time of use period designated by your rate schedule. These charges mirror SDG&E’s designated periods and amounts billed for delivery. Paying close attention to your time of use period and making sure you’re conserving energy during the appropriate time intervals is a great way to lower your energy bill cost.
- Detailed Generation Charges: CEA’s base product is Clean Impact, sourced from a minimum 50% renewable energy. Two other power supply products are available, Clean Impact Plus from 75% Carbon Free sources and Green Impact from 100% renewable sources. If customers are enrolled in either of the two premium, options, the charge related to the additional clean energy attribute will appear as a line item on the detail section.