The Clean Energy Alliance, a Joint Powers Authority between the cities of Carlsbad, Del Mar and Solana Beach, reviewed a draft of its Community Choice Aggregation Implementation Plan and Statement of Intent on Nov. 19, staying on track for a community choice energy program launch in 2021.
The implementation plan describes the JPA’s organizational structure, its operations, funding, customer rate-setting, energy supply, goals and purpose including:
- Offering an energy mix for its default service that provides a cleaner power portfolio than that of San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E)
- Offering a voluntary opt-up service at 100% renewable content that customers may elect to participate in
- Achieving – and sustaining – the Climate Action Plan goals of the Member Agencies
- Setting generation rates with a target of at least two percent below those of SDG&E
Upon rollout, Clean Energy Alliance customers would include 49,800 residential customers and 8,200 non-residential customers with the choice to opt-out of the CCA program and return to SDG&E electric service at any time.
The plan’s financial document and energy supply forecasting shows that the CCA is a financially viable program with positive net revenue projections through fiscal year 2030.
The Clean Energy Alliance also authorized the establishment of an interim bank account at Union Bank and an issuance of a request for proposal in January 2020 for credit and banking services.
A public hearing for the adoption of the Implementation Plan and Statement of Intent is scheduled for the next JPA board meeting on Dec. 19, 2 p.m. at the Carlsbad City Council Chamber. The adopted plan will be submitted to the California Public Utilities Commission by Dec. 31, 2019, on track to serve customers in 2021.
Board meeting locations for the remainder of fiscal year 2019-2020 will be:
- Carlsbad City Hall (1200 Carlsbad Village Drive): December 2019, March 2020, June 2020
- Del Mar City Hall (1050 Camino Del Mar): January 2020, April 2020
- Solana Beach City Hall (635 South Highway 101): February 2020, May 2020